Saturday, May 3, 2008

Go Bruce


I'm taking a break from our adventure in paradise to acknowledge a fellow CCI puppy raiser.

I'd be grateful if anyone would like to contribute to his efforts!
Ride for CCI
A Letter from Your Fellow Volunteer, Bruce Ross



Quick Links...
Ride for CCI
Canine Companions for Independence
Dear Fellow CCI Volunteers,

For those who don't know me, my name is Bruce Ross. I've been volunteering for Canine Companions for Independence for almost five years now and in May I will turn in my third puppy in program, Zena, for Advanced Training.

Raising future assistance dogs has been an incredibly meaningful experience for me, and I'm proud to be associated with CCI. I'm so proud, in fact, that in a couple of weeks I'll be embarking on a 700 mile bike ride to raise awareness and funds for our organization! I'm calling it the "Ride for CCI", and I hope it will be successful enough to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities by funding the breeding and training of future CCI assistance dogs. I've never ridden this far before, so the "Ride for CCI" is bound to be an extraordinary personal challenge. I hope the saying proves true, that "with the greatest efforts come the greatest rewards"!

My trek has special meaning for Zena, as well, who will accompany me in the support van for the length of the ride. The journey will begin in Santa Rosa near our National / Northwest Regional headquarters. This is where Zena was born! She will be reunited with her mother, Genas, and her father, Hardin II, along with their volunteer breeder caretakers, John Codding and Hugh "Terry" T. Whettam, respectively, at the Northwest regional graduation ceremony right before we begin our ride on May 17th. Our 700 mile ride will cover most of the length of California, finishing at the May 31st Southwest regional graduation in Oceanside. There, my journey with Zena ends when I turn her in for Advanced Training. I know you all understand when I say the experience will be bittersweet!

I need your support to help make the "Ride for CCI" a worthwhile challenge. Click here to be directed to the "Ride for CCI" website, and don't hesitate to tell others about the event! Like you, I know there is no greater gift to a person with a disability than a CCI assistance dog. Like you, I know they are nothing short of miracles! WE can make miracles happen, together.

Sincerely,
Bruce Ross

No comments: